One of my most popular posts of all time is 11 top blogs you should follow as an ecommerce entrepreneur. That list was written back in 2013, and it's currently result #2 in Google when you search for "ecommerce blog," so I figured it's time for an update!
Here are the top ecommerce blogs I recommend you follow to stay on top of what's going on in the world of ecommerce. The blogs listed below will teach you loads of invaluable info about choosing an ecommerce niche,, conversion rate optimization, SEO, the latest tips and tricks for marketing your products, and lots more.
Casandra Campbell is the managing editor of the Shopify blog, so she's got serious chops when it comes to content marketing. Shopify's content team publishes at least 5 blog posts a week on the main Shopify blog, and this content marketing plays a huge role in driving new visitors to Shopify.
Casandra has also worked as a holistic marketing consultant in the past, and she is a cofounder of Liberty Village Brewing Company, a craft brewer in Toronto.
Here's an overview of the topics we discuss on the show:
- How long should you plan on doing content marketing to see results?
- How often should you publish blog posts?
- After you publish great content, how can you promote it to drive traffic?
- When reaching out to influencers, how can you make it more likely that they’ll read your email pitch and share your content?
- Why do most ecommerce store blogs flounder, and how can you make one that really engages your audience and drives lots of traffic?
- How Casandra works her job at Shopify while also running a brewing company on the side with her friends
- The tools and techniques she uses to collaborate and run the brewing business
- Waking up naturally—why it’s one of the biggest positive changes Casandra’s made in her life
Links mentioned on the show:
What is copywriting? How can doing it well help you make more sales with your ecommerce store? What's a customer avatar, and how can you develop one that will help you write amazing copy for your online store? How can you work as a freelancer writer while traveling the world?
All shall be revealed in this conversation with Stephanie Simon.
Links mentioned on the show
- John McIntyre's email list (and podcast)
- Neville Medhora's Kopywriting Kourse (editor's note: We do not endorse the usage of Ks instead of Cs in this manner)
- The Boron Letters
- Triggers by Joe Sugarman (affiliate link)
- The One Thing by Gary Keller (affiliate link)
- Freebie: Customer avatar checklist by Stephanie Simon
- Connect with Stephanie on Facebook
54: Catching up with Richard Lazazzera on Facebook groups, SEO tricks, our own ecom stores, and more
Richard Lazazzera of A Better Lemonade Stand has been building an active Facebook community for ecommerce entrepreneurs. He's also focusing on SEO, using SEMRush to figure out new keywords to focus on and outrank his competitors. We talk about our ecommerce stores, plans for the future (possibly developing our own products), and the "free plus shipping" ecommerce model.
Links mentioned on the show:
Kai Davis is an outreach consultant, which means that he helps his clients get featured in other blogs and podcasts by building relationships with influencers. In this episode, Kai and I talk about how to identify the right influencers to reach out to, how to craft an effective cold email sequence, and the tools he uses to systematize his outreach.
Links referenced on the show:
Popular11 top blogs you should follow as an ecommerce entrepreneur
How to add a wholesale area to your Shopify store without an app
Ecommerce SEO Guide: How to increase organic search traffic to your Shopify store
How to add tabs to product pages in Shopify
My story: Why I gave up my plans for an MBA and years in the corporate world to start my own business
How to add an FAQ accordion to your Shopify store
5 ways to support yourself financially while bootstrapping an online business
5 ways to test demand for your product before building an online store
Video tutorial: How to create a Shopify landing page to build your email list